For anyone, talking about mental health concerns with someone else can be intimidating and difficult. However, in particular men who have been taught to be 'strong' and 'man up' and 'bottle up their emotions', can find it particularly daunting seeking mental health care services and resources. In fact, statistics have shown
- 1.On average, one in eight men have experienced or will experience depression
- 2. One in five men will suffer from anxiety at some point in their life
- 3.Suicide has shown to be the leading cause of death for Australian men aged between 15-44
- 4.Statistics have shown that 4 in 5 suicides are in men
- 5.Every year, more men die from suicide than they do in road related accidents!
- 6.Research has shown that most men don't seek help for mental health concerns. Many turn to drugs, alcohol and gambling instead as a way to cope.
Given the facts, it's incredibly important to break down the stigma and discrimination surrounding mental health in men. If you would like to find out more about mental health disorders or talk to someone about any mental health concerns please phone LETSS on 1800 013 755 or web chat with us at www.letss.org.au
(Image from Unsplash by Matheus Ferroro)